Volac – a leading manufacturer of high performance, dairy-based nutritional ingredients for the global food and feed processing markets – is implementing a tailored SoftTrace Whey Manufacturing software solution at its extensive facility in Felinfach, West Wales. Phase 2 of the project, focused on providing integrated quality management across all processes, is underway.
Phase 2 Priorities: Fully Integrated Quality Management
In phase 2 of the project, Volac are focusing on integrating SoftTrace LIMS across all areas of the Felinfach facility to cover micro-biological, chemical and physical testing of incoming raw materials and packaging, in-process bulk product and finished product as well as environmental testing. Volac’s objectives in this phase – for both dry and wet blend execution - include:
- Full, bi-directional traceability from ingredients to finished product.
- Completely eliminate paper / manual logs and achieve optimal efficiency in laboratory and quality management data entry.
- Achieve automatic data capture from laboratory instruments.
- Maintain a link between SoftTrace LIMS and the product technical specifications held in the ERP system for automatic quality monitoring and alerts along with case investigations.
- Incorporate full barcode functionality on a site-wide basis for sample management and non-conformance monitoring / reporting.
- Provide secure, remote access for data entry and reporting from external laboratories.
- Achieve a secure, enforced analysis regime for at line and in-line quality management.
- A web-based supplier interface for certificates of analysis and conformance upload.
- A full suite of weekly / monthly reporting options available “at the touch of a button” along with a suite of stakeholder specific reports.
- Full system access security and audit trail.
Phase 1 Priorities: Raw Materials Data Management
Volac’s immediate priority in phase one of the project was to achieve optimal data management in raw materials intake and in-process manufacturing control with an associated focus on efficient quality data management and traceability. To meet those objectives, SoftTrace have installed the SoftTrace Intake Management modules along with those aspects of SoftTrace LIMS functionality required for intake quality management. The modules were customised for Volac and implemented by SoftTrace to efficiently record raw materials received, integrate all associated quality data, and provide tight control over intake loads and silo fills.