Volac – a leading manufacturer of high performance, dairy-based nutritional ingredients for the global food and feed processing markets – is implementing a tailored SoftTrace Whey Manufacturing software solution at its extensive facility in Felinfach, West Wales.
Phase One of the SoftTrace project focused on raw materials data management went live, on schedule in late 2016. Phase two is underway.
Phase Two: fully integrated quality management across all processes is on the way!
In phase two of the project, Volac are focusing on integrating SoftTrace LIMS across all areas of the Felinfach facility to cover micro-biological, chemical and physical testing of incoming raw materials and packaging, in-process bulk product as finished product as well as environmental testing.
Volac’s objectives in this phase – for both dry and wet blend execution include:
- Full bi-directional traceability from ingredients to finished product.
- Completely eliminate paper / manual logs and achieve optimal efficiency in laboratory and quality management data entry.
- Achieve automatic data capture from laboratory instruments.
- Maintain a link between SoftTrace LIMS and the product technical specifications held in the ERP system for automatic quality monitoring and alerts along with case investigations.
- Incorporate full barcode functionality on a site-wide basis for sample management and non-conformance monitoring / reporting.
- Provide secure, remote access for data entry and reporting from external laboratories.
- Achieve a secure, enforced analysis regime for at line and in-line quality management.
- A web-based supplier interface for certificates of analysis and conformance upload.
- A full suite of weekly / monthly reporting options available “at the touch of a button” along with a suite of stakeholder specific reports.
- Full systems access security and audit trail.
Increased operational efficiency & profits with reduced overhead costs
The SoftTrace Weighbridge, Intake Management, LIMS and In-Process modules are being implemented as part of ongoing investment in the Volac Felinfach plant infrastructure to support business growth and commitment to the UK Dairy industry.
Designed to meet specific long-term data management objectives, the SoftTrace implementation project has successfully focused on maximising early business benefits and delivering a rapid, quantifiable return on investment.
The decision to deploy SoftTrace – following a rigorous investigation of the system’s functionality and configurability, visits to current user manufacturing facilities and a full audit of Volac’s current state and future requirements – was based on the SoftTrace suite’s proven ability to provide significant efficiencies in Volac’s internal quality control and traceability procedures, as well as enhanced data management throughout the manufacturing process.
“We chose SoftTrace because it makes economic sense for Volac to meet our data management, quality and traceability requirements with an industry specific solution that can be easily integrated with our ERP, process automation and barcoding systems. We can build the system we need in a modular fashion. This has allowed us to spread the cost and assigned Volac resource over a period of years.”
Jonathan Hogg, General Manager, Volac Felinfach